Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sooooooo sleepy...


Now I know why none of the pictures on the covers of the pregnancy books are of women in their first trimester. If she was awake, she would probably look exhausted, cranky, and possible greenish in the face, but most likely she would be sleeping. I have never been so tired in my life! I was telling someone the other day that it feels like I am ambushed by the exhaustion. I have come to expect that I will need a nap at the end of a full day of toddler wrangling at work, but I have often been out on a (very short) walk in the neighborhood, feeling fine, then suddenly I can barely take another step and I have to park it on a bench for 20 minutes until I can make it 4 more blocks to get home.

One of my co-workers asked me on Thursday if I would do a sewing project for him that evening for one of his patients that he sees the next day. I laughed a little and said "are you kidding me? I had to take a 30 minute nap after doing the dishes last night." "So, is that a no?" he asked. "For at least another month, that is a definite no, sorry." I don't think he gets it, he thinks I am a wimp. I don't think you can get it, unless you have been through it, or something else like it. Maybe a serious chronic illness, or extreme mono, or training for a marathon combined with a CIA-style sleep deprivation study. I am starting to feel better in general, but I just can't shake the sleepies.

The picture above is of me "helping" Nathan make dinner. I started out on a stool at the kitchen island, that was too hard, so I moved to a dining room chair with a back to lean on, and I must have just gradually slid out of it on to the floor until I was in a position that I had enough energy to sustain. Nathan had to document it to use as a "reminder" when I say I am ready to get pregnant again in a few years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Whiters! You're doing great, even if you don't feel like it!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Did you tell your co-worker that you already had one very important project on backlog for your sister?? ;-)
Hope you are feeling better soon!
jess

Anonymous said...

Hope by now you've had several long naps and several good nights worth of sleep behind you. I promise you this part does get better and your energy does come back before your baby arrives :-) !!! Good news huh? Love you lots ... Mom/Nana