Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The veggies are coming!!!

My delivery of organic veggies and fruits from local farms arrived at my work today. I was so excited to see the scraggly hippy guy with my box of healthful deliciousness walking down the sidewalk towards our door. It was almost as good at getting Christmas presents in the mail. As soon as I brought it home, I spread out my bounty on the butcher block to bask in its colorful glow.Included in the box was:
1 bunch of spinach
1 bunch of radishes
1 bunch of mustard greens
1 bunch of swiss chard
1 giant leek
1/2 bunch of asparagus
1 small bag crimini mushrooms
1 bunch chives
2 zucchini
1 bunch carrots
4 potatoes
3 anjou pears
2 pink lady apples
2 navel oranges
1 mango
1 minneola (not sure what this is)
5 tangerines
3 bananas

As I wondered what I would do with a huge leek, I reached into the bottom of the box and found a recipe for potato leek soup, topped with chives. How convenient. Turns out, the nice people that compiled my box knew I would have no idea what to do with a leek and they included a helpful recipe. I love them already. I started chopping and made the soup right away and it turned out pretty darn good, and good for me I think.So far, I am feeling pretty good about this endeavor. I am already getting anxious for berry season. I might even learn to make pie!

3 comments:

Gavin and Alice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gavin and Alice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gavin and Alice said...

Bet you wondered what happened to our comments. well for all our computer savvy ... we aren't so savvy. anyway just wanted to say your vegetables and fruit looked great and I liked the look of your soup so much I'd really like the recipe for the boat to go along with the one Todd gave me for bok choy. I'm going to be cooking all sorts of new things for your Dad. Lucky him. :-) All for now. Keep up the good work narrowing down your "footprint." Love, Mom