The back is a solid pale yellow flannel, very fuzzy and snuggly. I think I just might try quilting again. I have learned from this first practice blanket a great many things (mostly patience and that irons are hot), and I am hopeful that my next sewing project might be a little more efficient and perhaps larger.
Saturday, May 3, 2008
Whitney Ingalls Wilder
I am asked fairly often what I do at home in the absence of a TV. I now have a new answer: I QUILT!!! I decided for some reason on Tuesday night to dig out my sewing machine and some coordinating fabric scraps that I had had in my sewing box for about 8 years and see just how hard quilting really was. Turns out...its not that complicated. The worst part was all of the ironing. I can't stand ironing (have you seen my dress pants?) and I barely know how to do it. I was able to get the whole front panel done in about 5 hours on Tuesday night, just in time to bring it in for show-and-tell at the Wednesday morning staff meeting. I went to the fabric store for backing fabric, batting, and yarn, and I finished it off on Wednesday night. It is smallish, but I am very proud of it. It makes for a nice and toasty lap blanket to keep me warm during my other favorite non-TV past time, watching the traffic on the I-405 out my window. Here are some process pictures.
Pile of quilt parts and equipment
Wielding the rolling fabric cutter
Making the first few squares
Me and the Bernette, making magic
I finished a row!
The front is all finished.
The back is a solid pale yellow flannel, very fuzzy and snuggly. I think I just might try quilting again. I have learned from this first practice blanket a great many things (mostly patience and that irons are hot), and I am hopeful that my next sewing project might be a little more efficient and perhaps larger.
The back is a solid pale yellow flannel, very fuzzy and snuggly. I think I just might try quilting again. I have learned from this first practice blanket a great many things (mostly patience and that irons are hot), and I am hopeful that my next sewing project might be a little more efficient and perhaps larger.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am so impressed with your quilt. I have always wanted to try one, maybe baby sized, but never had the nerve. You go girl!!! It's so pretty too. Nice soft colors. Maybe one for the futon bed next ... then on to the California King, :-). then the family, then the neighborhood, then the world ... oh go ahead and just stop me before I go overboard. :-)! Keep up the great work. Love Mom
Way to go! Now I have someone joined in with me on this hobby (not that this was your ultimate purpose) I am not the only one feeling very domestic. It looks great! Hopefully it can keep me warm soon...
Post a Comment