Friday, November 1, 2013

Dahlia's second first day of preschool


Dahlia was very excited to start school again this year.  She was so disappointed that there was no school during the Summer and asked on an almost weekly basis when she would get to go back to see Teacher Jen and play with her friends.  Since she was still 3 at the start of the year, she should have been in the 3-4's preschool class, but my new work schedule meant that she needed to jump ahead to the 4-5's pre-K class instead.  It turns out that that was a very fortuitous accident of scheduling since she is really thriving in the more academic setting.  She is able to write her name, write all of the upper case alphabet, write a few other random words, and is beginning to sound out very small words in the little reading books they make in class.  I wouldn't be too surprised if she was reading at some level by Summer.  That would be such a treat for all of us since she is SO into books.  Nathan and I have joked that when she learns to read, she won't really need parents anymore.  She will disappear to her room and read all day and night.  It is nice to have the bookishness part of her personality to balance out the crazy, energetic climbiness that is present the rest of the time.

I only have one picture of the first day of school thanks to the pouring rain and my camera battery that died right after I was able to get just this one shot.  I was lucky that it turned out okay.  Dahlia always likes an opportunity to use her umbrella.

Last year's first day picture.  She looks soooo young!  How fast they grow up in just one year.

No comments: