Friday: Baby-sitting Ellie, my co-worker's grandbaby (13 months, Yoshi's cousin)


We played, we attempted to nap, we went to the post office, we enjoyed samples at Whole Foods, and we re-arranged the magnets on the fridge. These pictures are of Ellie at lunch time. She would only sit nicely and permit spoon-feeding if I let her keep her hand submerged in the yogurt. Whatever make you happy I guess.
I also watched a movie called
Bride and Prejudice, a sort-of Bollywood-esque re-do of the Jane Austen classic of a similar name. It was a wonderland of cheesy songs and choreographed dances, really sappy dialogue, and bizarrely mashed together cultural cliches from India, the UK, and America. I highly recommend it as a perfect way to pass the time on a sick day, a long flight, or as a part of a drinking game. It is not to be taken seriously.
Saturday: Nathan and I try out our new cross-country skis at the Teacup Lake Nordic Center near Mt. Hood


The weather was perfect for getting outside, not necessarily for XC skiing. I found this out when my ski jumped the track on a particularly steep descent and the skin was swiftly removed from two of my knuckles. The glorious sun had done a great job of slightly melting the top layer of snow, which was then quickly refrozen in all of the shady areas and where it was windy. This created a very hard sheet of ice where snow used to be. Ouch! We did manage to get a great shot of us with the mountain before I lost too much blood into my mitten.
On Saturday night, we joined our dear friends Margaret, Evan, Joelle, and Todd for some dinner at a local brewery (great mahi mahi fish and chips!), and great conversation over dessert at a little Italian place near us (dairy-free ice cream!). The fun continued at Joelle and Todd's apartment where we watched
Iron Man, a spectacular movie to watch with people whose life's work is computer generated animation.
Sunday: Sleeping in, going to the gym, making two trips to the fabric store to prepare for Monday
Monday: Sleeping in, going out to brunch, starting and finishing a quilt


Nathan and I went out to brunch almost every weekend when we first moved here, and fell out of the habit recently due to school and work stuff getting in the way. We decided to get back on the brunch wagon and went to the Byways Cafe (one of the best spots in the city as far as I am concerned) for coffee and diner food. The food was excellent, the host was heinous as usual (painfully slow and obilvious), and the coffee was appropriately bottomless. Mmmmm. We left brunch and Nathan got a great haircut at Rudy's around the corner. He then went off to school and I went home to get cracking on one of two quilts that Tammy (my co-worker and Ellie and Yoshi's Grandma) had commissioned about two months ago. She wanted jungle themes for both of them, and I got Yoshi's done today. The backing is flannel, the border is satin ribbon (rubbies are the best part of blankies), and the finished size is 40" x 40". I think I am getting faster at it, as this one took about 6.5 hours, including a dinner break.
2 comments:
oh I like that quilt you made, good colors, and you can't go wrong with the satin rubbie! When do I get mine?? and sophie? :-) (oh yeah, where are god brunch places up here?)-jess
Its always hard to tell what are the best years of your life. Each phase offers its rewards and challenges. But it sounds like you are collecting good memories during this time of your life. Good times and good friends make for a good life. Love Dad
Post a Comment