1. I still love my job. Despite the drama of recent months and relatively constant stress emanating from the front office, I have found that I am still passionate about what I do and where I get to do it. It helps that it has been a week full of pediatric successes on the part of many of my kiddos. Evan is independently walking, Ella can get to standing by herself, Gideon can side-step at a railing, Camden is walking without help, and the list continues. I can't take responsibility for all of those great leaps in motor development, but is sure is nice to be thanked by their parents and even better to see my kids achieve things that many thought they wouldn't. The work can be stressful and often emotionally taxing (three of my kids are in the PICU in critical condition right now) sometimes, so it is good to have a glut of good days to outweigh the bad. I love that I play for much of my day and that it isn't considered sexual harassment for me to get and give hugs and kisses to my babies.
2. A new PT student has started with us this week. Her arrival isn't the surprise, I have been surprised both with her demeanor and skills, and with my response to her. I was left with a bad impression of teaching PT students after the one we had last Spring. He was, in a word, difficult. The new student is engaging, smart, good with children and parents, and pleasant to be around. I have enjoyed teaching her because of the challenge of having to be on the spot all day, and because having a student around sort of forces me to be the best PT I can be. It was the kick in the pants I needed to get out of the slump I had been in at work and start focusing and diversifying my treatment techniques a bit more.
3. The big meeting with the ad hoc committee of the Board of Directors finally happened (like everything else, it was snow delayed) and they came back with some good-ish news. PRIDE for Kids is staying open - YAY! PRIDE for Kids will no longer be an early intervention provider - BOOO! This news is good-ish because it means that we will be providing private therapies only (physical, occupational, and speech therapies) that will be paid for by the patient's family or insurance company (Whitney stays employed). The fact that we will no longer have the special education preschool component that has been an integral part of the organization since its inception 33 years ago is what upsets me. One of the reasons that I believe so much in what PRIDE is about is based in the class-based approach of child and family education. I could go on and on about this, but the main point is that a very important part of PRIDE will be sacrificed in order to keep the doors open. June will be bittersweet for sure.
Well, I'm off to yoga now to allegedly stretch, bend, and breathe my cares away. Mostly I just end up sore and smelly.
Here are some recent pictures sent from Evan's family. He was apparently "helping" with some redecorating...until he got caught.

2 comments:
Great and informative blog! One question...where are the cookie recipe's??? Quit holding out! :-) -jess
Congratulations! I'm glad you still love your job :-) and that you will have one come june!...very sad about the classes though...alas, the world of insurance and medicaid!!! miss you guys!
Post a Comment