The fun one first:
It has long been a dream of mine to learn a musical instrument, particularly the cello. I have absolutely no musical talents at all; I can't read music, I know nothing of music theory or composition, and I have never played anything slightly musical in the past. That said, I adore the cello and every sound I have ever heard come out of one. I want some sort of creative outlet these days, and since I don't have the attention span for handi-crafts and I haven't found a decently priced ballet studio around here, I have turned to music. I am on the hunt for a rent-to-own cello that isn't a complete piece of junk, and teacher that can handle my scattered brain and high level of frustration with things that I am not immediately good at. I am very excited about getting started, and receiving the noise complaints that are destined to be taped to our door in no time. Wish me luck, and save the date for my first recital some time in 2015.
Now for the healthy greens:
I have recently started a second job up at the children's hospital in Portland (Doernbecher is it's name). I will ultimately be working two weekend days per month once my training days are finished (I am now going every weekend for a full day). It has definitely been a roller-coaster of indecision about whether I should continue the training, or get out sooner than later. I am working in the pediatric ICU, the oncology floor, and with general pediatric surgery and trauma. The hospital environment is exactly the opposite of what I do all week with my babies in early intervention. It is overwhelming, smelly, pretty gross sometimes, and stressful. But somehow, it is beginning to grow on me. It is a great feeling to have helped a kid go home earlier because you got them up and walking for the first time in days or weeks. I don't think this is going to stimulate a career change for me, but it is a great way to make a little extra cashola.
For your enjoyment:
Here is another picture of my cutest baby at work. He has just started crawling on his hands and knees, a very big accomplishment for a baby with Down Syndrome. He is very proud of himself and happy to show off. Aren't his little chubby hands so cute?!?
1 comment:
Wow Whitney, a note and a new blog both in the same day ... how lucky can a Mom get? First, keep eating those brussels sprouts, they will eventually grow on you and be of great help to your inner self. Secondly, I'm in favor of your playing anything you can't get hurt playing and am sending a preview "Bravo" for your first performance. Lastly ... that young man that is learning to crawl couldn't have a better teacher and ie is just so cute! :-) Love you both, Mom
Post a Comment