The confession:
I have to admit it, I have been known to act all high and mighty about not having a tv. My apoligies to all of you that were subjected to one of my rants. It has all changed today. I just watched two episodes of Grey's Anatomy on the internet, and I loved it! I thought I could just ignore the talk in the office and in the grocery store line about how riveting the last two episodes have been. But, apparently I am addicted to the mindless drama and insane lack of attention fo medical details on the part of the writers (hugely pregnant women don't just lie around on their backs all day, seriously!). I found out from a friend (thanks a lot Julie) that the full episodes are free on the ABC webpage . . . and there goes my afternoon. I was supposed to be doing research today, and instead I end up nearly shedding a tear when George doesn't confront Callie about his affair. This is nuts, why does this dumb show have such a grip on me? Damn their suspenseful endings and entertaining love affairs! "At least it's not drugs," I tell Nathan about my covert internet tv watching. He is in no position to judge, as he has a similar love for watching baseball games on the web.
The list:
1. I am only 21 days away from real medical insurance! This is very thrilling to me.
2. I am most likely applying for a pediatric residency position at Doernbecher Children's Hospital for next year. This would push me ever-closer to adding research to my daily life, and would mean that I could commute to work on the Portland Streetcar.
3. I really like living in Portland. It would be even better if all of my friends were here to share it with me.
4. I can't live without chocolate ice cream.
5. I really like my job. It is such a thrill to be there when a two and a half year old take his first steps, and to know that I was a part of making that happen. All of the driving and bureaucracy are worth it at times like those.
The poems:
We bought a letterpress haiku at a local art show recently. The paper is silver, the words are in bronze colored foil. We framed it and hung it over the futon.
This is it -
Shelved Improperly at the Library Haiku
Dyslexic new guy
Shelves the books on dog grooming
In theology.
By Elizabeth Miller
I became inspired and decided to write my own -
Mocked by the Rain Haiku
Leaves fall. My over-
Watered ficus frowns at rain
Three clear panes away.
By Whitney Gregory
The Request:
If you can write a better haiku than me (that's right, I am challenging you personally), leave one of your own in the comments section. Traditional haikus are three lines long, with five syllables in the first and third lines, and seven in the middle.
Have a great rainy Sunday.
Peace. W.
3 comments:
Hey...remember that offer of a flatscreen for the corner of the loft? Mom
Here are 3 haikus
1st from your Dad:
Dreams of the Future Haiku:
Dreams of azure seas
Nightly, as months pass on by
Soon my daily view.
2 from Mom:
Turtle rancher haiku:
Each day near my pond,
I wax poetic about
my turtles within.
John's New Title at Work Haiku:
The Vice President
of all things seen and undone,
requiring a voice.
Hope these qualify. Will explain the last one when next we talk. Love, Mom
Post a Comment