Thursday, October 25, 2012

Reier is 3 months old!

Sorry for the delay in getting this post done...it has been crazy around here this month.  It started with Dahlia bringing home a nasty cold from preschool.  Then I got it, then Nathan got it (and was sick on his birthday), then poor little bitty Reier got it and it turned into croup.  No fun.  The day after he recovered from his 2 weeks of coughing and snot we found out that he had a tongue-tie (restricted frenulum for those of you who like the big words) and needed to have it clipped to avoid a future of speech and eating difficulties.  Also no fun.  Today involved 2 vaccines.  Hopefully we have nothing but smooth sailing for the rest of the month because I don't think I can handle any more trauma and neither can Reier.

On to the fun part:

At 3 months Reier weighs 14 lbs (50th %ile) and is 26 inches long (95th %ile).  He is already starting to grow out of the 9 month sized clothes and will be needing a new wardrobe soon I think.  He is quite long and gaining some chub as well.  Most of the brown hair he was born with has fallen out and is being replaced by very bright blonde hair.  I think he will be a super blondie like I was as a small child.  He is very wiggly and loves to kick when on his back and can push up on his elbows to look around when on his belly.  He has even rolled from his belly to his back a few times.  Tummy time usually needs to end because he has spit up, not because he is unhappy there, he seems to like being on his tummy.

Reier sleeps very well at night, usually doing a 4 hour chunk followed by 2 hour chunks between feedings.  He naps great, too, as long as he is in a wrap the whole time.  I have tried transferring him to the bed or a blanket on the floor and it always ruins the nap.  I would rather wear him and have a well rested boy at this point.  I know it will change eventually and I am enjoying this time of snuggly closeness while I have it (though my back is in knots much of the time).  Reier is very much unlike his sister in that he tends to only nurse when he is hungry and rarely falls asleep while nursing during the day (she would have stayed latched on for her entire babyhood if I had let her).  He needs to be walked to sleep in the wrap for all of his daytime sleep, but will nurse to sleep at night (thank goodness!).

Our little boy is very social and loves to smile at anyone who smiles at him first.  He is okay being handed to other people as long as he can see me.  He is getting better on car rides, especially since I took out the infant insert from his car seat so he is more upright and I try to only drive when I think he will be happily awake as falling asleep in the car is not yet in his skill set.

Reier loves to watch Dahlia as she runs all over the house and she is starting to enjoy the captive audience.  She still needs reminders to be gentle with him but is doing very well as a big sister overall.  Despite the near-constant spitting up thanks to the reflux, we are enjoying the heck out of our little guy. He is just so delightful and sweet and very generous with his smiles and snuggles.

Reier was still quite sick on the day of his 3 month photo shoot.  This was about as lively as I could get him to be.

But still so darn adorable!

And not at all able to sit up yet.

Neither child was interested in participating in these pictures, but they matched and we had a few minutes to spare before we left for preschool in the morning.

He is starting to really love his playmat with the dangly toys.

A bit too dark, but I loved the expression in this shot.

The drool has started in earnest.

His biggest accomplishment of late is intentionally sucking his thumb.

This is where he spends half of his day...

And here is where is spends the other half...the other wrap.  Just kidding, but it does feel like that on some days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all the information and great pictures! Seems like forever since we have seen Reier and Dahlia, but probably really only 3 weeks. 😢 Anyway they both look wonderful and we will be seeing you on the 3rd at some point. Love and hugs and kisses, Nana 😊