Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Loners no more...

All of you who were losing sleep over the travesty that was our social situation can rest easy once more...we finally have some friends! Most of you know that my dear friend of fifteen years, Margaret, is just down the street, but the two of us could survive on only eachother's comany for so long. Nathan and I recently discovered a neighborhood church that meets in a building above a coffee shop and our favorite pizza joint, and along with it came a group of delightful people who welcomed us into their dinner party group with open arms (and apartments). I ran into a girl a few weeks ago that attended both SPU and UPS with me, and she alerted us to the presence of the local, and very hip, Pearl Church. She also happened to mention that she and her husband are in a weekly dinner party group that just might have room for two more. I jumped at the chance to socialize and haven't looked back! The group feels very familiar and comfortable, great potential for some quality friend-making. One of the great perks of the group so far is that one of the regulars is a wine distributor (and self-proclaimed expert), who always brings a bottle or three of something amazing that Nathan and I would probably never think to buy (our 8 bucks or less price range is fairly limiting when it comes to broadening our wine horizons).

We never thought we could achieve such a high degree of popularity, but believe it or don't...we also have a second, and distinctly different group of friends as well! Margaret has introduced us to her extremely charming and lovely neighbors who we now run into almost daily in the hood while thay are walking their cute doggy or pedestrian-commuting between home and work. Both are in the illustrating/animating/3-D modeling field in some fashion or another, and have since introduced us to their fancy design co-workers (4 from the same company live in Margaret's building). Starting Thursday, we will be having a weekly viewing of Project Runway, if I can stay up late enough, and hopefully also having something fancy for dessert.

I feel so blessed to have met such spectacular people since moving to Portland. Having left all of my favorite people in Seattle, and then again in Tacoma, I was starting to have the "I will never find friends like those ever again" feeling. But the veil has lifted and Portland has proved bountiful with generous and loving folks. It is good to be a part of some fun groups again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you two finally have some friends. :-)
Just kidding. I do know from experience how having friends close and doing the dinner thing etc. makes for some really good times to remember. Take care, have a great Thanksgiving and hi to the Gregorys. Mom

Melissa said...

flashbacks to your meeting and joining the 5019 crew! you guys are top notch... how could any group pass up the opportunity to add you to their urban family?